Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Buvette

This Sunday I had brunch in the West Village with my friend Jesse, at a little French bistro that he and his girlfriend are quite fond of - called Buvette. This place doesn't take reservations, and is incredibly popular on weekends, so we were very lucky to be seated within 15 minutes of my arrival (granted Jesse had already been waiting for half an hour by the time I got there: darn the crazy holiday midtown traffic!)

I ordered Le Oeufs with prosciutto: Buvette's signature steamed eggs cooked via the milk steamer in their cappuccino machine


At first I didn't understand what was so great about cooking eggs with a cappuccino machine, other than the novelty and perhaps speed (?) but Jesse pointed out that the texture was different. The eggs look like scrambled eggs, but are perhaps a little fluffier


The combination of eggs, toasted fresh bread, and prosciutto was delicious and very very filling. Although the plate wasn't particularly large, I was stuffed and could barely finish it all


Jesse ordered the octopus salad (not pictured because of camera malfunction) and we got some scones with butter and raspberry jam to share:


The scones were good, but not amazing. They were no longer warm by the time they reached us, although this is to be expected, given how busy the restaurant was.

Last but not least, we also shared the Duck Rillettes: spiced duck confit on toast


This was also delicious (I'm always a fan of duck) but I didn't have enough stomach space for more than one piece


The only truly disappointing part of the meal was the fact that I didn't have any appetite left for dessert. Jesse mentioned that they have an amazing chocolate mousse, which I will have to wait until my next visit to NYC to try...


Overall rating: 8/10

42 Grove St
New York, NY 10014

No comments:

Post a Comment