Monday, December 10, 2012

Back Forty West


This Saturday my first activity after getting back into NYC was to grab brunch in Soho with a few friends. I had been spending the last 5 weeks (while working Transplant nights) browsing my favorite food blogs and came across a post by Kathy YL Chan about Back Forty. It looked delicious and they now have a location in Soho (Back Forty West), so I had to give it a try myself.

We arrived in time for brunch, and in the true brunch spirit, Daniella ordered the spiced pumpkin pancakes:


Anna opted for the healthy option of the hearty green salad: shaved vegetables, chicken breast, lollo rosso, and spiced pumpkin seeds with lemon mustard dressing


I chose the pulled pork sammy with BBQ sauce and rosemary fries


Jenny ordered the poached egg sammy - not pictured because she was sitting on the far end of the table - but it looked decent. What appeared to be the most popular item on the menu that day (but which none of us had enough appetite to order) was the pumpkin bread with walnuts, spiced currents, and cream cheese icing. It's normally not like me to pass up a yummy pastry, but my appetite hasn't been what it once was... I must be getting old O_O

Another person who's getting older is Daniella (pictured on the far left) who's birthday is today. Happy 27th to an awesome friend and psychiatrist! (Not my psychiatrist - because we all know that I'm perfectly sane...)


Portion sizes weren't exactly impressive at Back Forty West, but with America's obesity epidemic I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing. My sandwich was ok, but not memorable, and the fries were only ok as well. Everyone else seemed pretty luke-warm about their food too, so either we ordered all the wrong things on the menu, or else the place just isn't that great

After brunch, Anna and I met up with a few more friends and made our way over to Rockefeller Center to check out the Christmas tree:


Despite having lived in NYC for over 4 years and having spent at least part of every holiday season there for the past 6 years, this was my first time actually getting to see the tree in person. We had to fight through an insane crowd of tourists, but mission finally accomplished!!!



Overall rating: 5.5/10

70 Prince Street
New York, NY 10012

No comments:

Post a Comment