Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Neptune Oyster Bar

This restaurant was shot #2 at finding my pal Dave some delicious New England clam chowder. Neptune Oyster Bar has a pretty strong following and mostly positive reviews here in Boston, so we decided to pay a lunch visit in the late afternoon on the day following our dinner to Island Creek


For starters Jenn and Dave ordered the fried Ipswich clams with tartar sauce. While the fried clams were decent, my buddies were especially impressed with the tartar sauce, which they said had a stronger Dill flavor than most


For his main course, Dave of course chose the clam chowder, which he liked much better than what he had received at Island Creek Oyster Bar. Although -as I pointed out- the chowder at Neptune was thinner in consistency, there was a higher clam-to-soup ratio, and there was no funny cheddar flavor


Dave also ordered the steamed Wellfleet littleneck clams:


For my entree I ordered the Neptune burger: cheddar cheeseburger with fried oysters and garlic mayo as well as relish. While I enjoyed the addition of the fried oysters, I was disappointed by the preparation of my beef patty. I had requested it to be done medium-rare (as per my usual), but it was definitely closer to well-done when it arrived


Jenn wisely decided on the Maine lobster roll: served hot with butter (the other option was to have it cold with mayo, but Jenn clearly made the superior choice)



Overall rating: 7/10 (I subtracted a few points for the fact that they totally mis-prepared my burger)


63 Salem Street
Boston, MA 02110

No comments:

Post a Comment