Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Island Creek Oyster Bar

About a week and a half ago my childhood friend Jenn and her boyfriend Dave decided to pay a visit to Boston, and while here, Dave was on a quest to find some delicious clam chowder.


On one of their first nights in Bean-town, we decided on Island Creek Oyster Bar for dinner - located in the Kenmore-Fenway area.


Dave and I both ordered the clam chowder (prepared with buttermilk biscuits and smoked bacon) to start. I detected the taste of cheese in the soup, which was a new experience for me with a clam chowder. While I thought it was an interesting twist, neither Dave nor Jenn were impressed


Jenn and Dave also ordered the crispy oyster sliders (on mini brioche rolls with lime chile aoli) as an appetizer, and these were reportedly delicious



For an entree I opted for something lighter: the heirloom tomato and roasted eggplant salad topped with Parmesan cheese and pesto. I personally love heirloom tomatoes and Parmesan, so this dish was guaranteed to be a winner


Jenn decided on the lobster roe pasta - topped with braised short rib, grilled lobster, and Miatake mushrooms



Dessert was a molten chocolate lava cake topped with vanilla ice cream and with additional Chantilly cream. After seeing the words "Chantilly cream" I insisted that we order it. Jenn tried to burst my bubble and dampen my love of Chantilly by pointing out that "it's the same thing as whipped cream *duh*."  

But it's not! Chantilly cream is whipped cream with the addition of vanilla extract - makes a world of difference to flavor and I love it!


Oh yeah - and the chocolate cake was pretty darn good too...



Overall rating: 7/10


500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215

No comments:

Post a Comment