Sunday, August 15, 2010

Gnocco



Last night we went out for pizza at Gnocco - located on 10th street between avenues A and B. While I've heard good things about the pizza, the reputation of their pasta is more luke-warm. We didn't have reservations, so the 5 of us were seated in the front (near the door and sidewalk area), rather than in the main dining room near the open-air patio.


We weren't particularly hungry after having had a huge brunch, so ordered 3 pizzas to share amongst ourselves:

1. Tartufata: fresh mozzarella, truffle sauce, mushrooms, and Speck (juniper-flavored ham that is similar to prosciutto)


The pizzas had a fabulously thin and crispy crust, as you can see from this slice:


2. Parmigiana: fresh mozzarella, eggplant, tomato sauce, fresh basil, and shaved parmesan (this was my favorite of the 3 - I thought the fresh basil was a nice touch)


3. Affumicata: smoked mozzarella, tomato sauce, and Italian sausages


Then came dessert - which none of us can ever seem to resist. Two out of the three Jenns shared the Semifreddo al Limone e Menta: lemon and mint parfait with caramelized peach (I thought it looked a little bit like half a snowball)


Tiffany ordered the Tiramisu: mascarpone cream, espresso coffee, and lady fingers served in a glass (you can kind-of see her sitting patiently in the background in her hot-pink dress and hands folded neatly in her lap... I realized recently how tolerant all my friends are. I always demand that they refrain from touching their food until I've gotten all the pictures that I want. It can be a pretty painful experience for them if they're super hungry and I'm having difficulty with lighting...)


The third Jenn ordered the Torta al Cloccolato e Caffe: chocolate mousse, coffee biscuit, almond, and Bavarian coffee


I chose the Torta di Ricotta: Italian cheesecake (made with Ricotta cheese rather than cream cheese), whipped cream, and fresh berries. This was surprisingly light, and uber yummy


Overall rating: 8/10

Gnocco
337 East 10th Street
New York, NY 10009

No comments:

Post a Comment