Sunday, May 18, 2014

Fay Da and Taipan Bakeries

Recently Serious Eats posted an article on Manhattan Chinatown's best bakeries, and both Taipan and Fay Da topped the list.

Although I generally frequent Taipan more often than Fay Da, today I was inspired to pick up some of my favorite snacks from both:


We'll start off with Fay Da:

Japanese cheesecake: not at all like the cheesecake we're used to. It's light and spongy - with cheese mixed into the flour, rather than a dense slice of sugar-infused cream cheese (which is what most of us normally visualize when we think of cheesecake)

















Sponge cake:






Hot dog bun: this isn't something I normally buy, but it was recommended by the writers of Serious Eats, so I decided to give it a try. It was fine, however I prefer the BBQ pork buns from Taipan (see below)

















Next are the purchased from Taipan:

Portuguese-style egg tarts: these are my favorite egg tarts in all of Chinatown. They taste like creme brulee in an egg tart crust. Delicious :D





Almond cream cake: I like to re-bake these when I get home so that the outside is nice and crispy before eating



BBQ pork buns: they're best when warm - I find myself craving these at least once a month if I haven't had them sooner

































Sooooo much food for one person to eat, but... challenge accepted!


Fay Da:
83 Mott St
New York, NY 10013

Taipan:
194 Canal St
New York, NY 10013

No comments:

Post a Comment